Coffee Cake Muffins (Vegan)
Made with our Intense Dark Roast Instant Coffee, these vegan muffins have all the best flavours of coffee cake in perfect on-the-go sizes. Take your bake to the next level by adding a crunchy topping and coffee icing drizzle.
Makes: 12 Muffins
Preparation Time: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
60ml Costa Intense Dark Roast Instant Coffee, brewed
130g plain flour
100g light brown sugar
2tsp baking powder
1tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp baking soda
Pinch of salt
120ml oat milk
80ml vegetable oil
2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flax mixed in 6 tbsp of water, let sit for 5 minutes to gel)
12 muffin paper cases
For the coffee cream:
2tbsp plain flour
2tbsp light brown sugar
2tbsp plant-based butter
½ tsp ground cinnamon
4tsp Costa Intense Dark Roast Instant Coffee, brewed
50g icing sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Line a muffin baking tray with the 12 paper cases and set aside.
2. To make the crunchy topping, add the flour, sugar, butter & cinnamon to a bowl. Use your hands to mix until a light crumble forms. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
4. In a measuring jug, whisk together the oat milk, brewed coffee, vegetable oil and flax eggs.
5. Gradually pour the liquid milk mixture into the dry ingredients, stirring constantly with a rubber spatula until the batter comes together.
6. Spoon the batter equally into the 12 muffin cases. Sprinkle the crunchy topping over each one, gently pressing the crumbs into the batter with your fingertips.
7. Bake for 17-20 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from the oven and transfer the muffins to a wire rack to cool completely.
8. Meanwhile, make the coffee icing drizzle. In a small bowl, mix the coffee and icing sugar together until runny.
9. Drizzle the icing over the muffins, let set and then dig in!
Don't forget to share your creations with us!